Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Wai guo de!

Last night, as we walked the streets of our new neighborhood, we were suddenly accosted by 3 little girls all standing inside one hula hoop. They ran behind us for the longest time, chanting,"waiguode, waiguode" (foreigner, foreigner). Somehow, they managed to chant, run, dodge potholes and still all stay inside the hula hoop. Finally, I whirled on them with fingers clenched into claws, leaned over them and started my own chant. "Zhongguode, Zhongguode" (Chinese, Chinese). They squealed, giggled and kept up the chase until we crossed the road. I find it amusing that they should say that I am a foreigner when two days before, a man I sat next to on the bus asked me if I was a local! Of course, as soon as I opened my mouth, he realized his mistake. A few days before that, a lady told me I looked like a member of one of the local tribes. WHAT!!??? She said my nose and round face were very Chinese. She had no explanation for the hair, and you should have seen her face when saw my ears! (for those who don't know, they are TINY) She called them baby ears and seemed very sympathetic that they had not developed since then. But wait, there's more. Tonight, as I waited at the corner of Wal-mart for our bed to arrive, an elderly man stopped and asked me for directions! Alright Mom, Dad, have you been holding out on us? Is there Chinese blood floating around somewhere that you haven't told us about? Mandy











3 comments:

  1. HA, HA. Now you are the one with issues and I thought I was the one who was adopted. Oh well, it's nice to be able to blend into your surroundings wherever you go. But Mom still doesn't have an explanation for your ears. The curls are just an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am so using that from now on. I promise I will no longer hold quarters up to your ears to see which is bigger. I am laughing right now...loud and hard. You know, like I usually laugh at Frank.--Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know, i have SO many jokes for that. but since this is a public forum, i will keep them to myself. i guess if you squinted real hard... no? well i have been asked if i was japanese more than once... so i can empathize! lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.