Thursday, October 9, 2008

Not So Fast, My Friend.


I forgot to relate one thing that happened yesterday. Amanda and I were on our way to a store called JaLaFu. It is a big department store, kind of like Walmart. Well, to get there we have to pass down a street lined with street vendors. The vendors are hocking everything from CDs and “designer” bags to squid on a stick and stinky tofu. Now, just so there is no misunderstanding, stinky tofu is called that for good reason. Amanda said in her post that it smelled like garbage, well I think garbage would take offense to that. I honestly can’t believe anyone would actually pay to eat it. It smells horrible. So on our way to JaLaFu, we pass by a stinky tofu vendor. I am talking to Amanda and not paying attention, when the smell hits me. Immediately, my eyes start watering and I start gagging. To make matters worse I had my mouth open. I HAD MY MOUTH OPEN. Oh the humanity! I think I would rather be shot with pepper spray than to have that happen to me again. Somehow, I survived and staggered on. Once we were in clear air again I realize that Amanda is fine. Not only is she fine, she is laughing at me. I ask how she was not affected and she says that she saw it coming and she braced herself. Where was the warning? Where is the love?

I know it was just yesterday that I said we found our place, but if you remember I did say “we think”. This morning we were supposed to meet the realtor to sign the contract but she had something come up and asked us to reschedule until the afternoon. Since we had time on our hands and nothing to do, we decided to go to one of the other realtors we have dealt with and see if they had anything new. They did. We ended up looking at seven apartments today, and we still don’t have a contract. We did however fall in love with a place. It is still under construction. They have to put the finish coat on the wall, put down the flooring, and put in all the fixtures. Even without all of that, we love it. It is a two bedroom apartment with a big kitchen and living room, and a terrific view. We can even get it already furnished. The down side is we have to wait until next week to move in, so hopefully this time next week we will be showing you picture of our new place. Until then I will remember the Chinese proverb about not numbering unborn fowl or something like that. - Frank
We cling to our own point of view, as though everything depended on it. Yet our opinions have no permanence; like autumn and winter, they gradually pass away. - Zhuangzi

5 comments:

  1. Greetings, Cheryl is here working today with me and told me how to keep up with you..so cool..Glad to know you had a safe trip and I do know about that smell, I had a Korean sister-in-law who ate that food everyday.We kept it outside on the porch when she came to visit..whew. I am enjoying your adventures. Cheryl said hello and will write later..Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Frankie, if its possible, next time you might want to close your mouth so you don't have to taste 'stinky tofu'! Hope the new apt works out for you guys, does this one have a real shower in it or do you have to multitask? love ya sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know, she was probably setting you up so she could get some embarrassing pictures of you! haha! post some pictures of the places you're looking at staying please. that proclaimers song brought back good memories. ask manda if she remembers singing that song with me back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like all those years of driving past the chicken farms has paid off. She knows when to hold her breath. Hey Frank, you said you were into trying new things, why not try the stinky tofu. You might just like it. Let us know how it tastes. Cant be worse than the chicken foot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hope ya'll got me a "designer bag"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.