Friday, October 17, 2008

I’ll Just Sleep On It

Today, Amanda and I have to go back to the market and see if we can get our washer exchanged. The one we purchased has two small problems. First, it doesn’t work. The barrel doesn’t fill with water, and the agitator doesn’t agitate. When we bought it we kind of wanted it to do those things. Second, when you reach inside you get shocked. Not shocked as in surprised, shocked as in electrocuted. I guess we can be thankful that so far it has only delivered minor doses. It is plugged into 220 V! Not to seem picky, but we want clean clothes, not electro-therapy. So we are going to try to get them to exchange it for us. This should be fun.


In many homes in America, there is often a debate over whether to have a firm or soft bed. Here in China, there is no debate. The only type of mattress that we have been able to find is called a hard box spring in the US. One of our friends says there is a place that caters to soft westerners, where we can get a mattress. We don’t know whether we will buy one or not. For now we will just sleep on it.


As for sleeping on it, after struggling to setup my wireless router for about four hours, I put the router back in my suitcase and gave up. Well, after sleeping on it (not literally but it couldn’t be much worse), I tried something different this morning and got it working. And I didn’t need to speak Chinese to do it. So now, both Amanda and I are able to surf the net from the convenience of our own home. Things are looking up. – Frank


To achieve the impossible dream, try going to sleep.
Joan Klempner



PS: Thanks for all of the comments. We enjoy hearing from you.

4 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Renting an apartment and buying furniture! I am so proud of you both. I know that our Dad is proud of you both too. Ciao ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what? so picky, stupid americans! why you want soft bed, working washing machine? you expect so much! oh... well i thought it was funny! mostly i'm laughing WITH you! only laughing AT you a little tiny bit... keep your heads up! i'm sure you will have a shock free washing machine in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey do they have eggcrate mattresses over there or air beds? Maybe that would help, has manda started cookin in her own kitchen yet? Have you found some woks for her? hope so I know mandas anxious to try some new recipes from the menus shes seen. love you guys sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all sounds soo exciting! I'm ready to come and visit!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.