Sunday, October 5, 2008

30 Lbs In One Day!!

That’s right, I lost 30 lbs Thursday morning. Of luggage that is. We packed and repacked four times to lighten our bags only to find that US airlines have dropped the weight allowance to 50 lbs. Thank goodness Rayna and Tim saw us off, or we would have had to chuck it all. It was easier to manage a lighter bag though. We arrived at 2 am and found that our reservations were canceled. Our taxi driver found a cheap place for us and a nice man carried my bag up 6 flights of stairs to our room. Frank did not get that convenience. This morning I enjoyed a refreshingly cold shower over a squat toilet and let Frank carry my bag back down the 6 flights. I did carry two other bags just so ya know. My first glimpse of our new home was of the busy morning commute. The normal travelers, bikes carrying 50 gallon drums, baskets of onions, three or four sides of raw beef, you know, the norm. We met up with some friends, and went to a party in the evening. Tomorrow I may get my first taste of shopping.

Okay, it is tomorrow! I went out on the balcony this morning to find something, and heard the faintest strand of the most beautiful music. It was soothing and stirring at the same time and so faint that I to be completely still to hear it at first. It was coming from a nearby park where people gathered to practice Tai Chi. It was the perfect start to a great day! I had my first taste of apartment hunting and so far the best one was the first one. We got a great tour of our city. I saw squid on a stick! It smelled delicious! It already feels as if we have been here for a while. We did a little shopping as we searched for flats. The neighborhood we are looking at has a wonderful blend of villagers and locals selling their wares. Roasted corn, rice patties, stinky tofu. (Seriously, smells like garbage). All of it smelled great to me. The best part was dinner! Over the Bridge Noodles, a popular dish here. Packed full of flavor and spice. The spices left my lips buzzing from the heat! It is a build-it-yourself soup. All the fixings (fixins) come separate and you throw them all in this HUMONGOUS bowl of broth and they cook in the broth. That and a tall beer and I was gou le (full). Today was great! This place is full of flavor, life, and color. I can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings.
mandy

5 comments:

  1. Whatta view! Sounds like you guys are truly embracing EVERY aspect of life in your new home! It all sounds very exciting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very exciting!!! I cant believe that shower/toilet thing. Guess it makes me appreciate my big tub a lot more.Cant wait to hear more about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have to agree with Boo, I think I'll skip the 'squat toilet"!! Hope you guys find a good apartment. Love ya sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the view! Hahaha.. yes, Asian bathrooms, gotta love them. : D

    Love reading about your journey.. keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you guys find a house soon. Sounds like you are enjoying all the views of china. I really thought the toilet was great. At least if you miss you can just turn the shower on. Really enjoy keeping track of your travels while Im on vacation. Luv Dani.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.