Sunday, October 26, 2008

The National Treasure – The Giant Panda

Indigenous of China, the giant panda has become the symbol of the nation. There are some things that must be seen when visiting this country. The pandas are one of them. After the hour long bus ride to the north side of Chengdu, and after all of the hassle that preceded the visit to the park, I was afraid that the trip would not live up to expectations. That was nowhere near the case. The panda reserve more than delivered.








Having visited several zoos, we should have expected the scene that awaited us. The park was filled with children. There must have been several hundred, maybe a thousand children visiting. As we walked in, we were literally mobbed by children shouting “nide mingzi, nide mingzi” or “your name, your name”. They wanted our autographs. For the first time in my life, truly could understand how Michael Jordan must feel. I had people who only came up to just past my waist (children are people too), shoving pieces of paper at me, and shouting with glee, just to get my barely legible signature scrawled for them. And my jump shot is not nearly as good as his.

Once we finally made our way past the adoring fans, we set out to do some gawking of our own. It was a beautiful, clear day and the animals seemed to really be enjoying it. Hence we were treated to very active animals. There is just something special about observing nature. It is like it is what we were meant to do! There is only so much that I can say, so I hope you enjoy the pictures and the video. - Frank

11 comments:

  1. video?...Eva waited patiently but alas I couldn't find a video.You must have only just posted the three pics. -sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. And to think, we can say we "knew you when". LOL. Let me know when you are heading back so I can keep the paparazzi away from the airport. Did I miss something? I don't see a video. It might just be my computer. Keep having fun!!! Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the picture... but where dat video at???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the video. There is a problem with the internet here. I will post it tomorrow. Amanda is going to post more pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a treat to see. J & I watched a documentary on this place once.. it's cool you got to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sure some kid didn't pinch your credit card and the rest were trying to get you to sign their receipts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey There! I have enjoyed your blog. Zhende! My son, Tim R., told me about it. Great writing. And pictures. Looking forward to more...Cindy R.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Ken....what were you signing? You don't look anything like Michael Jordan.....It's supposed to be "nothin' but net".....I don't see the net....sorry!
    Constance

    ReplyDelete
  9. You go superstar!!! Wo yao nide ming zi!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ummm Frank, hate to break it to ya... most of them are to your shoulder. And there are a few that look taller than you. But maybe children in photos are smaller than they appear...?

    zàijiàn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi guys!! I absolutely love your blog! Super awesome! ("chao bang" ... my new favorite phrase :) Sounds like quite the adventure! Keep up the good work! Wo juede ni de zhongwen zhende jinbu! -Britt W. aka Barbara Streisand. btw, i did finally watch "funny girl" in mexico...not a huge fan sry to say tho... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.