Thursday, October 30, 2008

All Creatures Great and Small...


We all desire a world where animals can be enjoyed without fear, where they are safe from harm and so are we. We saw something close to that in Chengdu. The park was well maintained and far from the pollution riddled city. Here, the quiet bamboo lined paths held peace and beauty. The masses of children had exited the park by the time we got to the bears and we could enjoy them relatively uninterrupted. The weather was beautiful, which is odd for Chengdu. Clear skies and warm temperatures brought the pandas out into the open.
Some have said that Pandas are silent creatures, but for the first time, I heard them speak, calling to their young, taunting each other as they wrestled or grunting as they foraged for food. One large adult buried himself in heavy brush looking for the perfect snack. When he found it, he sat in front of us, whittled it down to the choicest part and enjoyed the fruits of his labor. I didn’t know they use their paws as hands, he looked like he was eating corn on the cob. Amazing! We must have watched him for twenty minutes and he was completely unbothered by us.
The nursery was a special treat although pictures were not allowed. (Frank did manage to get one though) A large wooden crib held about ten infants all fast asleep. One of them preferred to lay sprawled on his back, can you see him? They flipped him over several times but he was determined to have it his way. The caretakers fed them and pottied them while we watched. They were so adorable! I have loaded many pictures to my Kodak Gallery account. If you would like to view them, send me a message thru yahoo and I can send you an invite. It is not open for public viewing. Creation is full of wonders and I am very glad we have been privileged to behold so many of them in this mysterious and beautiful country.
These are Red Pandas. They must have had something very serious to discuss. There was an entire section of the park dedicated to Red Pandas but it was closed because so many of them are pregnant and need silence.


















































It is good to realize that if love and peace can prevail on earth, and if we can teach our children to honour nature's gifts, the joys and beauties of the outdoors will be here forever.
Jimmy Carter

mandy

7 comments:

  1. Mandy, This was my favorite blog so far. What GREAT pictures! I love hearing about the food too. I don't know if you guys know or not, but I eat tofu fairly often.:)But the stinky tofu? The way you've described it, I think I would be afraid of it too! If you can ever post a picture of it, I would love to see it.
    Thanks again for sharing your experience!-June Price

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I LOVE the picture of the humming bird. Did one of you guys take that? That is awsome!-June

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the pictures & videos. Shawn says he wants to "be" a panda bear now. I'm sending him to you for training!! Hope you are feeling better Mandy. Sorry to hear about your accident.
    Have a GREAT day. Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is actually not a hummingbird but a type of large bee. I saw it at the panda park in Chengdu.
    mandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. A BEE?! I would hate to be stung by that thing! I wonder if it is a stinging bee. Are there bees that don't sting?--June

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I thought it was a humming bird too! Beautiful pics! Can't wait to see the ones on Kodak. Love the babies... SO Cute especially the one on his back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Red Pandas!?!?! I didn't know there were red pandas. Oh, and the baby pandas are adorable. I want one! No, on second thought- I don't think I do. Anyway, thanks so much for taking us along via this website, its so exciting to see what you are seeing. Love you guys! -Myka

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.