Saturday, January 31, 2009

Blogs of Note

Since being here in China, and even before arriving, I have been interested in learning as much as possible about the Middle Kingdom. The Internet has been a valuable source of information. There are numerous places to get facts about China i.e. Wikipedia, Ask.com, Google. There are also a few blogs that are pretty good and gives one a personal perspective. Of course there is Amanda's blog, http://www.mandachino.blogspot.com/. She usually posts a lot of her pictures there, and she and I can take the same subject and write about them from vastly differing points-of-view. You might also want to check out http://www.vivrant30.blogspot.com/. It is a newer blog, by a young lady who just arrived in China last month. Her experiences have so far been funny and insightful. I came across a German blog that is terrific, (http://www.chinasplumpsklo.blogspot.com/) other than the fact that I can't read the language. It's format has given me a lot of ideas. I use it to try to learn a little German, to look at the pictures, and to see other places in China that we might visit or other things that we might do.
Writing a blog can be a difficult process. Setting up the blog is simple. Sites, like blogger.com, do all of the formatting for you. Making it interesting is the part that takes a lot of work. (Take this post as an example.) Sometimes, there just doesn't seem to be anything of interest to write about. So I often visit this site: http://www.oneminutewriter.blogspot.com/. The purpose of this blog is to post subjects for others to write about. I like reading what is written because it sometimes will get the creative juices flowing. As for inspiration, let me pose this question to the readers. What would you like me to blog about next? What aspect of Chinese life would you be most interested in reading about? Give me your thoughts. Please post your answers by using the "comments" link. I will review them, and choose a few for a future post. - Frank
The first step in blogging is not writing them but reading them.
Jeff Jarvis

7 comments:

  1. 1. Thanks for the shout out! Woo hoo. I feel so special.

    2. I like posts where you make fun of yourself. Those are great. LOL!

    3. How about you make some recommendations for any future travelers. Things would do differently if you knew what you know now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How bout blog about some of the interesting people that you meet. Or more about you falling into pot holes, haha (thats one of my favorites). Or one about what its like to live so close to so many people. Whatever you write about keep up the good work Frankie your blog is awesome! sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank u, that u make us so famous!

    xDDDDDDDD

    And Deutsch is not so difficult to learn!

    seiken

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of writing about things I would do differently. Brilliant!
    Also for my readers, I will try to be as self depreciating as possible in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howdy, I would love to know more about the day to day life of different people in China. For instance, how do they handle education of their children? Do both parents typically work? What do teenagers do for fun? What do adults do to relax (other than walk on water in a plastic ball.)? What are the people like when you go out to practice your Chinese on strangers? Are there any laws, or common everyday occurences that would feel totally out of place to us? Just some ideas. Don't feel obligated to use them. Whatever you write about, I know we will enjoy. You & Mandy should really start compiling your book. HAVE A GREAT DAY!!! Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love history..but you would have to make it interesting. Maybe link it to dates that would be interesting parallels. You understand what I mean? Just a thought.-sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Sharon! I love history too. I will have to do some research and see what I can come up with.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.