Sunday, January 11, 2009

There’s a Place for Us

For those of you who don’t know, the title of this post is a reference to the Rogers and Hammerstein musical The Westside Story. It is set in the 50s in New York City. It was about Tony and Maria, two people from different parts of town. Tony and Maria’s brother were members of rival street gangs. Theirs was a forbidden love. It was R&H’s spin on Romeo and Juliet.
You know, it is funny the things that can come into one’s head. After our wonderful visa run to HK, as we were riding in a cab from the airport to our apartment, the lyrics to that song came into my head. It is really strange because I haven’t seen the Westside Story in over 20 years. But as the familiar streets and buildings of our new place flashed past my window, in my mind, that song was the background music. (FYI, this is not new. Most of the time there is background music being played in a corner of my mind.) I have listed the lyrics below. In these few lines of prose, it pretty much sums up my feelings about being here with Amanda. Things could have ended like they did for young Montague and Capulet or Tony and Maria. But here we are, living in China, waiting for the upcoming happy ending. Somehow, some day, somewhere. – Frank
There's a place for us,
Somewhere a place for us.
Peace and quiet and open air
Wait for us Somewhere.

There's a time for us,
Some day a time for us,
Time together with time spare,
Time to learn, time to care,
Some day!

Somewhere.
We'll find a new way of living,
We'll find a way of forgiving
Somewhere . . .

There's a place for us,
A time and place for us.
Hold my hand and we're halfway there.
Hold my hand and I'll take you there
Somehow,
Some day,
Somewhere!
Rogers and Hammerstein

5 comments:

  1. I've got to tell you this last post has got to be one of the most beautiful things I've read in a long time. Dude, if I ever had a love like that I would be manzu.

    Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!so WESTSIDE STORY is my favorite movie musical. I got misty just reading the post-title.
    Your happiness makes me smile.
    Love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank I am so totally proud of you. Amanda he just publically declared his love for you in such a sweet, tender, special way that I didn't even know he was capable of. Wow Frank...I am totally in awe. Love you both.-Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Franky That was beautiful. I knew that you had it in you. But one thing though...REMEMBER!!!! You are still coming back to us in august!! OK??? We Love you guys and really appreciate the Post Card. The Girls Say Hello. Call us soon. -Mike S

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think everyone else capsulized it in their individual way, but I'll add to it... That was a touching post.

    I look forward to reflecting a portion of those feelings about the motherland...

    That's real...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.