Thursday, January 29, 2009

It Seemed Like a Good Idea At the Time

Yesterday, we went to another one of the local parks. The weather was a sunny 15 Celsius (59 F. I finally figured out how to convert C to F. It is easy, multiply by 9, divide by 5, then add 32). We are enjoying the parks here a lot. They are great places to practice our Chinese, while at the same time savoring the beautiful vistas that they provide. While there, we happened upon some children playing on the water inside of huge inflated rubber balls. They looked like they were having so much fun that I decided to give it a try. As the pictures and video will show, there are some things that seem like more fun than they actually are. As they zipped me inside, and I caught a whiff of the sweat, breath, and B.O. of those who had been in there before me, I thought to myself “Well it seemed like a good idea at the time”. As I fell over and over again, I could hear the howls of laughter even inside my bubble. I am glad someone had fun. (Park entrance fee, 0 RMB. Fee for being inside big rubber ball on the water, 10 RMB. Being able to provide comic relief for the 20 to 30 people who stopped to watch the waigouren at play, priceless.) Whose idea was this anyway? What was the thought process? It must have gone something like this:

Boss - Okay Jerry, let's get a big rubber bag.
Jerry - Check!
Boss - We can then put a person inside it and zip them in.
Jerry - Check!
Boss - Pump it full of air until it is round and floats.
Jerry - Check!
Boss - Then we can put them out on the water, where they will try to walk but repeatedly fall down to the amusement of others.
Jerry - Check!
Boss - Finally, wait for it, we keep them locked inside this bag until they are on the verge of passing out due to asphyxiation!
Jerry - A floating, rubber, asphyxiating sphere of amusement...Brilliant!

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
e e cummings (1894 - 1962)


Frank






PS- As for the adjacent picture, I bet my sister thought putting those glasses on and allowing a picture to be taken was a good idea at the time too.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Bruce and A.,
    very cool site! Nice pictures! And thank u telling us the visitor analytic site.
    Very interessting information!

    Hope to here from you soon...
    Seiken and Sebi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank, thank you so much for starting my day off with a hardy laugh. I'm laughing with you not at you (or vise versa). Russell said to tell you, you can't live your whole life in a bubble.
    It reminded me of an old movie with John Travolta -- "The boy in the bubble". I don't remember him trying to walk on water, though. Thanks again for sharing. That is the best laugh I have had in a while.
    Have a GREAT day!!! Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow… Frank! It’s been some time now since I’ve been compelled to comment. At what point did you become "Boss" or "Jerry" and think this would be a positive experience? And in what Universe did you think the sight of you wiping out REPEATEDLY would not force tearful laughter to well up in all who beheld that wonderfully amusing display? :)
    PS We’re moving!!! I’ll fill you guys in via email.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frank, that was wonderful. Truly, I could never do something like that, but it was great seeing you try. I think the best part was hearing Amanda describe it being like gerbils. Very fitting. :)

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is quite possibly the oddest game i have ever seen... zipped in a bubble!? : D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Frank thats funnny you put that pic on your blog danyelle gonna be so mad!!!!!!!! but whatever all i gotta say is HEY SEXY GIRLFRIEND!!!!
    Oh and stay outta gerbil balls
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.