Thursday, January 1, 2009

Another Year, Another Flight, Another Destination


It is January 1, 2009. Another year has come and gone, and we find ourselves sitting in another airplane, waiting to takeoff for Hong Kong. For me, there is always something special about being in a plane. Maybe it is that sense of wonder and amazement that comes from know that an accumulation of several tons of metallic alloy and electronics, properly combined can enable modern man to do what men throughout antiquity have dreamed of; flying. I love looking down on the countryside, seeing things from an eagle’s vantage point. As I admire the varying landscapes pass by, I am struck with the thought that, viewed from above, things look much the same every time. Sure there are differences, but in the grand scheme of things, they are minor. Whether it was over the Great Plains of the American Midwest, the beautiful French and German countryside, or the vast expanse of Asia, everything seems to fit together like the pieces of some colossal puzzle. From way up high, what I see is that even with mountains and oceans separating us, we are all living in the same housing development.
Another reason why I enjoy flying so much is that every time I have boarded an airplane it was either conveying me to or from a special destination. Paris France, Berlin Germany, Poznan Poland, Chengdu China, Alaska USA, and New York New York are all places to which I have flown, and each time it was special. Just the anticipation of stepping off an airplane in a new and exotic place, hearing a variety of languages, sampling international cuisine, and mingling with diverse cultures is exciting for me. It is kind of like when you open a nice Bordeaux of a good vintage. You can’t just drink it. After pouring it, you have to let it breathe for a while. Then, as you raise the glass to your nose, and you smell the amazing bouquet, even before tasting it , you know that what is to follow is going to be worth the wait. So as we sit in this air plane on our way to another destination, the time spent in transit is like “letting it breathe” while my mind savors the bouquet. I can’t wait until we arrive in Hong Kong (which means “Fragrant Harbor”) but I know that it will be worth the wait. – Frank

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing pictures from this trip. I know they too will be worth the wait. Travel carefully & make sure the pilot knows there is special cargo on the plane. [Of course I mean Amanda! ;) ] Have fun. Sara

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.