Sunday, January 18, 2009

I Always Feel Like Somebody's Watching Me...

After a week in Hong Kong, where they were used to seeing foreigners, followed by a week of being cooped up in the apartment, it was brought to my attention once again how different I am from everyone else here. It is not vanity or paranoia speaking when I say it seems like everyone is watching me. As we waited for the bus, a pair of young lovers took a moment to pause from whispering sweet nothings to each other to point me out. On the bus, a father bent down and turned his young son around so that he could view the painted man. As we were walking through the market two little girls unabashedly pointed at me with a look of absolute awe on their faces. It was as if they were looking at someone from a different planet. It's a Heiren (black person), an actual Heiren. I take all of this attention in stride and usually just speak to them. Amanda on the other hand, because she is shy, sometimes gets a little tired of the stares that we attract. One day when Amanda and I got on a bus and sat down, a girl of about 20 years old got up from her seat, went and sat opposite us so that she could get a better look at me. We got a good laugh at how blatant she was. Usually they try to have a little bit of decorum. It often makes me think of that song from the 80's by Rockwell. I always feel like somebody’s watching me...
Speaking of 80's music...
A few days ago we were having lunch in one of the local restaurants that caters to Westerners. They were playing music that harkens back to the good old days of 80’s love songs. You know, there is nothing quite like those sappy, moving, but sometimes inappropriate love songs from the 80’s and early 90’s. They must have had one of the many compilation cds that have been made from that era, because we heard songs from Celine, Whitney, Richard Marx and Lionel. As we were listening, we got to talking about how some of those songs, if a person actual said those words to someone today, would result in a restraining order being issued. Songs like the one by Rick Astley "Never Gonna Give You Up". How many ex-boyfriends have said that? What about the stalker's anthem? I am sure you know the one I am talking about, the one written by Sting. It went to number one on the music charts, "Every Breath You Take". Just in case you have forgotten the lyrics, remember he says "Every breath you take, every move you make, I'll be watching you" and he also says "Oh can't you see... You belong to me". Can you say creepy? Seriously though, we travel half way across the globe and expect the music to be different but are often confronted by old standards and music that is not only familiar but also comfortable. This is sometimes very nice. Music is a vehicle that very easily transports one down memory lane, and can bring you face to face with blissful nostalgia. As we were sitting in that restaurant listening to the tunes, we relished the journey. - 付伟国

4 comments:

  1. Watch it Frank. You are telling your age. LOL. Have a good day. Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys glad yall are enjoying the sounds of home. Tell Manda 'Hi ol lady' for me today. Missin ya. Lexi has another loose tooth she wanted me to tell you about. sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been great visiting your blog and seeing how much fun you guys are having. Thanks for posting these wonderful pics. We miss u.
    How's the Obamamania trend in China?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frank, I think thats the CD you borrowed from me in 91! You two have fun and Amanda keep the beautiful pictures coming.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.