Monday, February 2, 2009

Super Bowl in China

I remember vividly the first Super Bowl I ever watched live on TV. It was Super Bowl XX. The Chicago Bears versus the New England Patriots. The 85 Bears were a dominant team. They were so overpowering they even had their own music video, the Super Bowl Shuffle, which was made BEFORE they won the Super Bowl. That team is still one of the best teams in NFL history. They had Sweetness, McMahon, and the Refrigerator. It is hard to believe they even lost the one game that they did that year! Since that game, I have watched every Super Bowl. I remember the outcome of every game, and if pressed I could probably name the participant of each one. (Amanda says that it is a shame to waste all of that memory on such trivia. Oh, if only I could remember Chinese words and grammar that way!) My favorite Super Bowl was Super Bowl XXXI, the Green Bay Packers vs. The New England Patriots. The Packer won 35-21 (For the record, Farve was robbed of Super Bowl MVP when it was given to a guy on special teams). The only one that I didn’t see live was Super Bowl XXXVIII, the one that is most famous for a wardrobe malfunction. We had tickets to see Les Miserable’s for the fourth time that night. I went to the show instead, and I loved it! (This admission is probably something that most of you find hard to believe. Someone who enjoys watching football as much as I obviously do, also loves Broadway musical? Is that really possible? What can I say? I am an enigma.) I did watch the game that night though. We taped it.
So for 22 consecutive seasons I have known what I was doing on the last weekend of January or on the first weekend of February. I would spend it watching the”Big Game”. Being in China, I thought that this year the run was going to come to an end, but through the wonders of modern technology (the Internet) we were still able to watch it live. We woke up at 6:30 am (which put a new twist on a Super Bowl party: breakfast foods), and began streaming live video from Tampa. We were able to watch almost the whole thing, but due to the curse of modern technology (the aforementioned Internet booted us off the site we were using) we were unable to see the last couple minutes. The last thing we saw was the Cardinals experiencing what was surely going to be “the Thrill of Victory”. We missed how it those emotions were turned into “the Agony of Defeat”. One of our friends saved the day though, by using Skype to give us play by play updates, so we were kept abreast of the outcome. In the end, even though it was different, on a 15 inch screen, and we missed the ending, I am glad we were able to watch the Super Bowl here in China. – Frank
We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible.
Vince Lombardi (1913 - 1970)

1 comment:

  1. Howdy, Glad you got to see most of it. It's funny, you didn't see the last 2 minutes, and I only saw the last 5. But they were intense. I was so glad the Steelers won, because Russell is a huge Pittsburgh fan. And you know how moody he is if he doesn't get his way. LOL. So it was a happy time at our house. HAVE A FANTASTIC WEEK!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.