Monday, February 2, 2009

If I Could Do It Over…


Here is a list of things that I would do differently if I had a reset button, and could redo the move to China.
5. Weight Limit, what weight limit? - I would absolutely forget about the weight limit that the airlines have. The overage charges that they have might just be worth being able to bring those special items that you may want. Postage charges for having care packages sent to us have exceeded any charges that we may have had to pay.
4. American RX – Bring meds both prescription and over the counter. Eastern medicine is getting a lot of good press but Western medicine is familiar. There is a lot to be said for familiarity. We may be able to buy meds here but we can’t read the labels. I definitely don’t want to OD on Zhong yao (Chinese Medicine).
3. Save. Save. Save. – Even though the cost of living is much cheaper here, it still cost money. Also, one thing we were not prepared for was paying six months’ rent up front for our apartment. For the most part, where ever you live here, you will have to pay at least 3 months with a possibility of 6 months’ rent up front. Added to that is the security deposit (one month’s rent) and also dian ti (elevator) fee. There are a lot of small fees that we normally don’t consider. Save money for these.
2. Eggrolls, Moo Goo Gai Pan, Sweet and Sour Chicken? Ok. 15 minutes – If possible, I would try to get a job at a Chinese restaurant. There is no substitute for speaking the language, and being in a pressure filled environment like a restaurant will teach everyday grammar in practical ways that classes can’t match. Also, since Chinese is a tonal language, speaking with people everyday will give a huge boost to being able to distinguish the tones.
1. Start sooner – If I could do it over again, I would have started learning Chinese years ago. Amanda wanted me to start learning a language over six years ago. If I had begun learning Chinese then, just think of how far along I would be. I made all kinds of excuses for not learning another language, but I ended up doing it anyway. Why put off until tomorrow, what you can do today? - Frank


PS - Many thanks to Denice for the idea for this blog. If you have any ideas that you would like me to write about, please include them in a comment.

6 comments:

  1. Eggrolls, Moo Goo Gai Pan, Sweet and Sour Chicken...

    OOO.... you might not want to do that. : P

    Having worked in an Asian restaurant all of 3 weeks now, I can say it's very difficult. I am grateful for the language learning experience but I think to myself there has to be a better way. Although, it is preparing me for the "American outsider" feeling since customers wonder what I'm doing there. (And one rudely vocalized as much not realizing I understand him..) The only thing I am grateful for is getting to spend quite a bit of time talking about why we are moving to Thailand. ; ) Oh, and I've learned most of them make 2.50 an hour so tips even on takeout are much appreciated ; P

    Thanks for posting this blog! Really helpful actually..: ))
    I think your right about packing extra.. we're going to take your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Introspective Blog Idea: 5 positive things you have learned about yourselves since moving to China.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids, Thanks for your insight on working in the resturant. It was something I wanted to do before moving here but I could not afford the pay cut. I really like your introspective idea. Look of it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogger Idea- Daily Chinese Language Lesson:
    Just a few words per day and give us the Character, pinyin spelling and pronunciation guide.
    It would help you practice what you are learning. It would also help us 'cuntry folk' who might want to learn more than how to order their favorite dishes at the local Chinese restaurant... AKA ME! lol.
    The extent of my Chinese is as follows:
    Small Tofu (or shrimp & tofu) Mei Fun w/ veg's
    Sweet & Sour Chicken
    Egg Drop Soup
    Sesame Chicken (Jada & Ethan have also learned that lol and if you ask Ethan what it means, his answer is: CHINESE CHICKEN!!!!)
    Please
    Thank You
    & Good Bye...

    Of course a daily dose of humorous shenanigans involving you … always good for the mind and body!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this post was a great idea!!!

    I think points 5,4,3 are fabulous...

    What medicine should I take? What goodies should I pack that I might be tempted to leave behind? Printer? Robe? Digital Media? endless...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brandon, one thing that I am glad I brought with me is my wireless router. Internet access is a necesscity, and it is nice to have a router that I can configure. You can buy them here but I had a friend that has been pulling his hair out over wireless problems. Also, if you can bring an unlocked pda phone, you might find that helpful. I have one that I bought here relatively cheap that I am running Pleco dictionary on which I have found invaluable. I know of others who have not been able to find one that is inexpensive.If you have any specific questions, Skype me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.