Thursday, March 5, 2009

Oh Yeah!

We had a really nice time tonight. We had some British friends over for dinner and a movie. We introduced them to a couple of American Classics: Breakin and Kool-Aid. It was funny watching the movie Breakin with them. For those of you who have never seen it, Breakin is a really cheesy movie that was made in 1984. It is about a group of kids who try to make it big through break dancing. Being set in 84 means that viewers are brought back to the time of big hair and bad clothing. The music and dancing were really good. The acting, not so much. When I first showed it to them, I didn't expect them to like it quite so much. Much to my surprise, at the end of the movie, they said "that film was brilliant!" When I told them there was a second one, (I am not making this up. It is called Breakin 2 - Electric Boogaloo.) they asked "when can we watch it?" So they are officially hooked on an 80's movie. They can't wait to tell their family and friends about it, and they asked me to teach them some of the moves. As for that other American classic, Kool-Aid, they had never experienced that either. As I was making it, they watched. As I put the sugar in, one of them said "... and you wonder why their are so many overweight people in America". They changed there tune after tasting it. They loved it as well (Oh Yeah!). So, we came here to experience Chinese culture, but it seems that we are spreading a little American culture. Too bad it is either from the wrong decade or is partly responsible for the spread of obesity in America. Good thing we are not diplomats. - Frank
You owe me seven dollars man... for teaching you how to dance. - Turbo (Breakin)

6 comments:

  1. Kool-Aid was the best thing that ever happened to the dentistry profession. You have to buy the packets though because the can with sugar already added doesn't have enough sugar. My mom never put enough sugar in anyway. We had to doctor it after she made it. :)-sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man you took me back!!!! you almost got me takin out my kangol and adidas with the big laces all I needed was my linolium floor. hilarious man you are hilarious

    ReplyDelete
  3. You talk to your chinese doc about kool-aid and you will get a lecture!!!! Don't mention it to him. :)
    Did you guys hear about the snow we had here?
    My family and I were in Salisbury N.C. last weekend and heard after we got there that there would definitely be snow in N.C. and S.C. by Sunday. It wound up that we left about an hour earlier than we had planned and drove home in the snow! It was beautiful! It was okay that we left early though. We did everything we wanted to before we had to leave...just cut a couple of things short because we figured it would be wise to leave early. It was kind of fun riding home in the snow.
    But at home it wasn't enough to keep me home from work on Monday!!! That was the only thing I didn't like about it. :) Yall keep havin' fun! June

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Breakin' movies!!!! ...and I own them with pride :) Check out:
    THE PILOT it is a B-boy short film.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Frank, I haven't been on blog lately. Sorry bout that. Glad to hear about job. AND NEVER LET THEM TAKE AWAY YOUR KOOL-AID. Life without kool aid is no life at all. lol. Have a good day. Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember thinking I was the most important kid in the world when my mom would let me pick the KOOL AID flavor out at the market.... : P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.