Friday, March 27, 2009

Cody Joins the Darkside

Several weeks ago I wrote a post about possibly becoming a professor at a local university. Alas, that was not to be. We were unable to agree on terms, so I turned it down. I thought that it would not be too difficult to find work elsewhere. Well, I was wrong. I have interviewed for a countless number of jobs, all to no avail. Again and again I was passed over for another applicant; some of them did not even have to interview. They were given the job as soon as they met with the HR representative. (Hey what gives?) As you can probably guess by the title of this post, the reason I kept getting passed over wasn’t because I lacked teaching skills. It was because I lacked the proper shading. This inequality is not from malice. Most of the schools I interviewed with really liked me, but because I do not look like a typical American, (whatever that is) they hired someone that looked the part. However, persistence and Providential help paid off. I met Cody. Cody overheard me telling someone at a local McDonalds that I was a teacher from America. So Cody introduced himself to me. He went to college in the US. (Columbia University and Washington University) He said that he was looking for a Black teacher from America to teach English at his school, and that he could not believe his luck at meeting me. After negotiating, we agreed to terms and he gave me a job. So while everyone else was keeping me down, Cody decides to join the Darkside. - Frank
Once you feel the power of the darkside, forever will it dominate your destiny – Darth Vader (to Luke)
Below are a few pictures from my first few classes.

6 comments:

  1. That is great to hear. Keep us posted on the progress.

    DB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Not only do you get a job but you get to help these kids learn the world is a crayola box...

    : )))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howdy,
    I am glad you have a job. I find it amusing that his T-shirt is in English. Is that normal or is it because you are in a class trying to teach English? June or July, wow that is quick. See you soon. Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so thinking about you finding work just last night! I'm so happy for you. Congratulations! Congratulations! So happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to everyone for your comments. I really think I am going to love this job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy for you! You will probably have more fun with kids as students anyway. The pictures look like you are having a ball!
    What was Cody's reason for wanting specifically a "dark" person for a teacher? Did he say?
    Isn't it interesting the preconceptions people can get? (Such as thinking you don't look like a "typical american")-June

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.