Sunday, March 1, 2009

Me, A Professor?

Last week, I taught a demo class at the local university. They are searching for a native speaker to help their students pass their TEFOL exam. For the past few weeks, I have been searching for somewhere to teach. Maybe the search for all of us has ended. I hope so. I really enjoyed teaching the demo class. I taught seven students and two teachers for about an hour. This is the standard practice, so that the students and teachers could evaluate the perspective teacher's teaching style, and then they can decide if it is suitable. In the hour that I had, I was an English speaking whirling dervish. I used many of the techniques that I was taught in a public speaking course that I attended; make eye contact, proper volume, modulation, use of gestures, main points standout. I also used the techniques taught in the TESOL class I attended, which is where the whirling dervish comes in. One of the main things we learned is that to keep the attention of the students, one must keep moving, use different teaching methods, get the students involved, get the students out of their seats. So, I was all over the place; spinning, snapping, and pointing to keep their attention on the front. Sometimes, I could almost see them wondering what I would do next. After class, the students and teachers all told me that they really enjoyed the session, and that they hoped to see me again. Now, I have to wait on the director of studies to get back from holiday. The teachers will talk to her, and she will tell me whether or not I get the job. So for right now, I wait. By this time next week, I could be a professor at a university! Who would have believed it, me a professor? - Frank
By learning you will teach; by teaching you will learn.
Latin Proverb

3 comments:

  1. Oooohhh I hope you get it! I hope you get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never did get the snapping and spinning without tripping down.. : D Reminds, you've blogged about basketball too.. can't do that either! Must be related.

    We're sure you'll get the job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be great fun to call you professor Frank... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.