Friday, May 1, 2009

没办法méibànfǎ – No Solution

When you move to a different country, not only do you come in contact with people who speak a different language, they also think differently. This is apparent in so many ways. We had a reminder of this when the light in our bathroom went out. I thought, “没问题 méiwèntí” (no problem), I will just take the old one down, and take it to the store to buy another. Usually, this type of thing is a piece of cake, even here in China. Not this time, however. I got quite a surprise when I took the globe off of the light. It seems that the electrician who wired the apartment was afraid that the bulb would fall out. His solution was to splice the wires around the bulb so that if it fell out, it would not hit the ground. The bonus to this is that it also gives him a little job security. When the light eventually burns out, the 房东 fángdōng (landlord) will have to give him a call and have him replace the bulb. Sure, I know what you are thinking. Why don’t I get some electrical tape and remove the light myself? I refrain from doing this for a couple reasons. 1) All electrical outlets and lights here are 220 volt, single phase. So if I accidentally touch the wires while working on it, a world full of hurt would ensue. 2) I have no electrical tape, and the only type that I have seen is not too good. It is so thin, I don’t think it will provide enough insulation for the amount of power that the lights carry. All I need is for the building to burn down because I tried to be a do-it-yourselfer. I am sure they have some that works fine, but I have not been able to find it. So tomorrow I will call the 房东 fángdōng, and have her send the repairman over. It will probably take a couple hours to get it fixed because she will first have to come to the apartment to see the problem for herself. She will then call the repairman, who will also have to come to inspect it and remove the bulb. He will then have to go buy a replacement. Finally, when he returns, he will be able to replace the bulb. It is really 麻犯 máfàn (tiresome, bothersome), but what can you do? Sometimes the “when in Rome” rule applies in China too. Different people just think differently. 没办法 méibànfǎ. There is no solution, just go with it. - Frank

2 comments:

  1. Just an update on the light: It only took a couple days for them to sort it out. It actually went the way I said it would go too. Now, we are waiting for them to fis the curtain covering our kitchen window. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very proud of you for letting the electrician fix the light rather than risking burning the building and you and Mandy up! It takes a real man to admit he needs help changing a light bulb! :) June

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.