Saturday, May 2, 2009

Kids On the Road

Just a quick post about some friends, the Kidsons, who are about to move to Thailand. It was a little over a year ago, when we were in a TESOL class together (The Canadian Institute of English by Harry Cotton), learning the basic principles of teaching English to those whose mother tongue is something different. It was there that the seeds were sown for so many of us to explore this vast world of ours. As I read their blog, I can't help but think of the others who have left the comfort and security of the familiar, to give life in a strange new land a try. There are Brandon, Disney, and Grace from our class, who now live abroad (if I have left someone from class out I am sorry). Then there are our other friends; Luc and Luch, Amy, Alan, Eric, Jeff and Meli, and Cory and Susuan who have also immersed themselves in different cultures and lands. Everyone will probably agree that things have not always been easy. In fact for some, things have been down right difficult. But those that I have talked to, or whose blogs I have read, are grateful for the experience. Soon, Joel and Kelly will say their goodbyes, and board a plane into the unknown. They are probably going through what so many before them already have; trying to stay sane while juggling all the loose ends and last minute details that need to be taken care of. Well, don't blink guys because on May 24th, in just three short week, Joel and Kelly will join the other the kids on the road, and the adventure will begin. - Frank
All my bags are packed, I ready to go. The taxis waiting, blowing its horn...I am leaving on a jet plane...John Denver


5 comments:

  1. The Canadian Institute of English by Harry Cotton must be a lot of fun! I think you really can put some things of it into practice by teaching english!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This post brought back some good memories. Let me tell all of you that despite ill-fitting wrap skirts or non-existent shorts this trip, this lifestyle change, has been more than worth it.

    Great post Frank!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know any of these people. But I want to tell them all, I am thinking about you in your adventures. And despite a little jealousy on my part, I am very happy for all of you. Thanks for sharing this neat information with us, Frank. Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sebi - Yes, CIE rocks.. almost like going back to "school".. although only Joel does the snap + spin..even with tutoring ESL students the past year, I don't have that down.

    Sara - Aw, thanks. : ) You are welcome to visit us in Nong Khai anytime. Granted, it's hot + sticky + no hot water.. but friends of Bruces will ALWAYS be welcome! : )

    As for us...18 days.... YIKES!!! We are so happy to have met so many like minded folks that one week in Atlanta. You never know where you will end up when you open the door to possibilities.. You all are amazing! : ))

    Love,
    Joel & Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Disney,

    Your blog helps a lot. It is nice to hear what is going on with others. It also gives me ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.