Saturday, May 2, 2009

He's Dead, Jim!

For those of you who are not big fans of Star Trek, the original in particular, those are the famous words of Dr. McCoy. He would usually say them after of one the "unknown" crewman wearing red was sent off alone to investigate some weird sound. This dire pronouncement was made following a quick examination by the good doctor. Well, I have been experiencing some serious computer problems over the past two weeks. To make a along story short, there was a conflict between all of my hardware and the software that was supposed to operate them. How this came about, I don't know? I contacted Acer technical support, and gave them all of the details. I expected to hear a variation of that ominous diagnosis. They contacted me a few days later and there reply was reminiscent of a quote from a different "doctor" (Miracle Max) from a different movie (The Princess Bride). It seems that my poor laptop was only "mostly dead". They informed me that all I had to do was reset my laptop to the original factory settings. The good news is that fixed the problems. The bad news is it also wiped my C drive. The good news is I bought a 250 GB hard beforehand to back up the C drive. The bad news is I didn't do as good a job backing everything up as I thought. This good news, bad news routine is something that we learned in our TESOL class. It is supposed to be a fun way to teach language. I have found out, though, that when you have lost almost all of the pictures that you have taken over eight months abroad, pictures that are irreplaceable of the wonderful places that you have visited and may never get back to, that routine just isn't as funny to you. The worst part about it is that it did not have to turn out this way. A few week ago Amanda saw that I was transferring everything from my cameras memory card to my computer and told me "You should always have your pictures saved to at least two places". That was good advice but there is a genetic trait that males have, it causes us to sometimes ignore good advice. Just think of the aforementioned unknown crewman. How many times back on the Enterprise did he and the guys talk about all the other security detail members that didn't make it back. I am sure he was told "No matter what they say, don't go off alone"! But once he was in the situation, he just could not control himself. Well, as if drawn by some siren call to stupidity, I thought at the time, "That takes up too much space, what can go wrong"? Well, I had to ask didn't I? So now I am paying for it the hard way. At least, Amanda has been gracious enough not to say "I told you so". She has even felt genuinely sorry for me. - Unknown Crewman
McCoy:
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer.
Devil in the Dark I'm a doctor, not a psychiatrist. City on the Edge of Forever I'm a doctor, not a mechanic. Doomsday Machine I'm a doctor, not an escalator. Friday's Child I'm a doctor, not an engineer. (Scotty: Now you're an engineer.) Mirror, Mirror I'm a doctor, not a coal miner. The Empath I'm a surgeon, not a moon shuttle conductor. Corbomite Maneuver I'm not a magician, just an old country doctor. Deadly Years He's dead, Jim. The Enemy Within, The Man Trap, Wolf in the Fold, The Changeling She's dead, Jim. Wolf in the Fold (twice) He's dead, Captain. And the Children Shall Lead He's dead. Amok Time, I, Mudd, For the World is Hollow... She's dead. The Deadly Years Dead. The Apple This man is dead. Catspaw That man's dead back there. A Piece of the Action Very dead, Mr. Spock. Spectre of the Gun
The captain's dead. Enterprise Incident

5 comments:

  1. I haven't dealt with digital photos much yet. How would you save those? To a cd or either a floppy?
    I do feel for you. I am one of those who would go for my pictures if the house was on fire:) Most everything else can be replaced. However, you do have a GREAT collection between this blog and Mandy's.
    Your sister in grieving your lost photos, June

    ReplyDelete
  2. June,
    Thanks for your comment and for your pity. I have spent almost a week emailing a tech from Microsoft trying to gt things sorted out. So far it has not worked, but I will keep trying. As for where to save the pics, we have a couple external hard drives that we have been saving things too. The good news is that I have recovered some from the blog. Good Idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry to hear bout ur pics frankie. Does manda have some of the same ones? Maybe yall got doubles of some. We r really lookin forward to seein u guys again next month. luv ya faye

    ReplyDelete
  4. JP (Courney Beason's husband)May 13, 2009 at 3:26 AM

    Are you able to watch any NBA playoff games? I found a decent site: http://www.justin.tv/sonny_chiba These games have been great this year. I feel bad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JP - Thanks for thinking about me. No I haven't been able to watch any of the games. SOmetimes we all have to make sacrifices...
    I will give that site a try. Thx.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.