Sunday, April 26, 2009

Chinese Fire Drill

In the US, a Chinese fire drill is when a car is stopped at a traffic light; everyone jumps out of the car, runs around it, and gets back into it at a different position. I don’t know why it is called that. It is probably derogatory, but if it is I apologize. I mean no offense. That is just what they were always called. Yesterday, however, I witnessed an actual CHINESE Chinese fire drill. Amanda and I were at a friend’s apartment, when I heard sirens. At first, I didn’t really pay attention to them, but suddenly I realized “Those are fire trucks”. I raced to the window to catch a glimpse of them (Yes, I really miss my job with the fire department!), and much to my surprise, they were pulling up to the apartment building across the street. It was nice to see the efficiency with which they suited up, deployed the lines, and entered the building. They appeared to be very well trained. They even had personnel on hand to set up a perimeter using safety tape, and police to handle the traffic.
Originally, I thought that there may have been a HazMat incident because one team went inside in Class –A HazMat suits, and also we saw no smoke. Soon the team returned carrying a victim on a stretcher, but shortly after they got him to the safety zone, he stood up and walked away. We then realized that it was just a drill, but it was really cool to see anyway. It seems like I have still got fire fighting in my blood. - Frank
The funny thing about firemen is, night and day, they are always firemen. ~Gregory Widen, Backdraft

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

PS - Beau and Sara, Amanda and I are looking forward to hearing your news!

2 comments:

  1. You should have seen little boy Frank running around the apartment trying to get the best view. Plus the HUGE grin on his face!
    mandachino

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just can't get away from it, huh? Had it been real, you could have thrown on the gear & headed in. I have a quick question about the video. Is that person at the end of it, on the road, sitting on top of their car? Or just hanging out of the window? Either way, it's crazy. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see you in a month. Have a GREAT day!! Sara

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.