Thursday, April 7, 2011

Ancient Chinese Secrets - The Perfect Pot of Rice

One thing that many people struggle with is making rice. You may think that it is a simple thing to do, but if you believe that you have probably never had to eat gummy, sticky rice. I was blessed to have grown up in a household that had an expert rice maker in it, my mom; hence we were not blighted with that curse. When I got married, I passed the family method of making good rice to Amanda (along with the recipe for making pistachio cake which we will discuss at another time). Since moving to China, we have not had to use that method however, because we have discovered the ancient Chinese secret to perfect rice. As you know the staple food in Asia is rice, so they have come up with a simple solution to that age old problem - the rice cooker. With this amazing device, all you have to do is add the ingredients and hit a button and about twenty minutes later, voila! the perfect pot of rice. Like the refrigerator in America, this appliance is a "must have" in every home. There are probably more that don't have a refrigerator, than those that don't have a rice cooker. What I want to know is that with all the things we import from China, how is it we don't have rice cookers in America? - Frank

2 comments:

  1. We do. Russ bought me one. But it only takes 20 minutes to cook on the stove and it took a little longer in the rice cooker, so I figured, what was the point. I gave mine away. Love ya, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had rice cookers in America for as long as I can remember Frank. However, I thought it was an American invention. You know... Americans are masters of the "Set it and forget it it" appliances. So needless to say I am surprised to learn it's an "ancient Chines secret lol.
    Albert O.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.