Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Five Lifetimes - Ni Mingbai Ma?




A good friend once told us it takes five lifetimes to learn Chinese. Well, it has only been about three years, and we are finding those words to be true. Mandarin has four main tones, and it is amazing the ease with which native speakers can pronounce and hear the different tones. Of course, Amanda does really well with this. Me, on the other hand, I seem to have developed a rare form of tone deafness. Whenever we are speaking with our Chinese friends, I will bravely throw out there the words that I have recently learned. They will look at me with a look upon their face that is half blank, half sympathetic smile. So I will repeat myself, much less sure of my linguistic skills. Still they just stare. I usually make one more attempt and then both of us will turn and look at Amanda. Then Amanda, who one of our friends has begun calling "Super Chinese Girl", will say the exact same thing but with the correct tone and say "ni mingbai ma?", which means "do you understand?". They will nod, smile, and say "mingbai". One of the nice things about the Chinese is that they are usually very understanding and rarely laugh out loud at my mistakes. Well, what can I expect? It has not even been one lifetime.


There have been many instances that remind us why we are learning and let us know that we have actually made significant progress. Sometimes I will be listening to Chinese music (Gigi Leung is one of our favorites), watching a Chinese movie (Turn Left, Turn Right or Together we highly recommend), or reading Chinese Hanyu (characters) and I will actually understand what I am hearing or reading. At other times, we will be talking with one of our students totally in Chinese and they will understand. When that happens a special feeling comes over me. I think to myself, "we are actually communicating with someone in one of the hardest languages to learn". Those rare moments of clarity help me to keep going. That, along with the fact that we can really help people. For instance, back in July one of our students was having her first baby. She was at the hospital all alone because her husband had to work. He called us and asked if we could go to see her because she was scared. You can probably understand her fear. She was experiencing extreme pain. She is in a strange land, and does not speak the language well. The doctors and nurses could not really explain to her what was going on and what she needed to do. When we got to the hospital she was nervous, uneasy and totally exhausted because she had not slept. When we got there, you could visibly see her relax. We talked for a while and then just sat with her. Gradually, she drifted off to sleep. We came back to visit when her husband was there, and he too calmed down when we shared some encouraging thoughts with him in his native language. They now have a healthy baby boy named Joshua (Amanda got to name him). All this was accomplished with only a rudimentary grasp of the language. I can't wait until we can actually communicate well. Hopefully, the "Five Lifetimes" can be sped up by our move to China. -Frank




PS - some nice supplemental information on the Chinese language can be found at g75 5/22 p.9 or g84 8/8 p.22


4 comments:

  1. Hello Frank and Amanda, this is Shindana. I know you know Cleo, my mother. She said that she talked to Amanda the other day. I was your neighbor for all of those years. I heard that you all were moving to China. It sounds like fun, getting to go around helping people. However I have never been to China in my life. I think the Chinese culture is interesting though, I really like them. I found out that my name, the first part Shin is used in Japanese or Chinese. I think it means new, I thought that was interesting. I am definitely going to have to do more research on the Chinese culture. I can only some Spanish and French, but if I had more time I would study more language. I love languages.

    I am going to miss both of you, eventhough we never had time to talk much due to the fact that we were always on the go. But, I am glad that my mom got your blogsite address so we can keep in touch. I can't forget you all, your were some of the nicest people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the time finally arrived and manda (surprise) was an emotional mess there for a little bit. It finally hit me in the car yesterday when I was listening to a song. I started losing it and had to quickly change the station. It hit lexi when she got up this morning and asked where Aunt Manda and Uncle Frankie where at. When I told her they had left very early this morning she got real quiet. When I went to drop her off at school she couldnt get out of the car she was so upset. So I took her to my dads and we talked to her and told her how much fun they where going to have and that, yes, they would be back. On the second trip to school she finally made it in. I think your laving will slowly hit us in different ways. Personally, you have just gone on a really long vacation and will come back with so much knowledge to share that you wont be able to hold it in. We will miss you but I know that MOM and the HS are with you. We miss already and hope you have an awesome time. Love, sandra, lexi, n noah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank & Amanda...we still miss you from our awesome time together this summer. Thanks for keeping in touch. I must confess your blog is pretty cool and original...Can't wait to hear about your adventures in China...maybe you will even meet a bearded, married turtle or find out who is really feeding the pigs at night...
    Love you guys,
    Sara & Beau

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel for you frank but maybe this is your chance to finally learn a languge since youve yet to master english

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading our blog. Please keep your comments secular.